Facial Fat Transfer
When to consider a facial fat transfer
LOCATED IN BEACHWOOD | SERVING CLEVELAND AND NORTHEAST OHIO
As we age, we lose facial volume and our youthful facial shape. The loss of facial volume is among the most notable changes individuals observe as they age. While this change can be attributed to factors like skeletal remodeling and skin thinning, a significant part of this transformation is due to the diminishing amount of facial fat and its downward shift.
Fat grafting (also known as) fat transfer or fat injections, is the surgical process of harnessing the body’s own fat reserves to restore facial volume. How does this work? The process involves gently extracting fat from specific areas of the body and then skillfully injecting it into the facial regions with a loss of volume.
double-board certified facial plastic surgeon Dr. Ponsky utilizes this approach to improve the shape and smoothness of your skin naturally. By using your fat, you also avoid the chance of an allergic reaction because no foreign substances are entering your body.
The most commonly treated areas
- Tear Troughs: The hollows beneath the eyes, known as tear troughs, can give a tired appearance. Fat transfer helps to plump up this area, reducing the depth of the troughs and providing a refreshed look.
- Cheeks: Enhancing the cheeks restores a youthful curve and fullness, countering the sunken or flattened appearance that often comes with age.
- Nasolabial Folds: These lines run from the corners of the nose to the mouth. Injecting fat into this region softens these lines, offering a more youthful facial contour.
- Temples: Hollowed temples can be rejuvenated, giving the face a more rounded and youthful profile.
- Brows: Elevating and adding volume to the brows can provide a subtle yet refreshing lift to the eyes and forehead.
- Jawline: Defining the jawline using fat transfer can counteract sagging and provide a more sculpted appearance.
- Lips and Lip Lines: Enhance lip volume and smooth out lip lines, providing a youthful and rejuvenated appearance.
- Chin: Adds projection and contour, resulting in a more defined and balanced facial profile.
- Marionette Lines: These lines run from the corners of your mouth to your chin. Fat to this area can effectively soften and fill marionette lines, restoring a smoother and more youthful facial contour.
How It Helps
Fat grafting can be performed on the cheek, lips, temples, chin, jawline, eyebrows, marionette lines, and nasolabial folds. Because fat grafting uses your own tissues, it’s safer than synthetic implants. It significantly reduces the risk of complications and adverse reactions – results last much longer than dermal fillers, allowing for a natural, softer look.
What to expect before facial fat transfer
Dr. Ponsky and her skilled clinical staff will begin your consultation by asking about your goals and expectations and then discuss any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors. After examining and photographing your face, expect the surgeon to discuss recommendations and risks. These photographs are studied to determine where volume has been lost in aging to get the best results and achieve a more youthful appearance.
What to expect during facial fat transfer
This procedure is typically performed under intravenous sedation. First, fat is obtained through tiny incisions from the central abdomen, flanks, or thighs. After processing to remove unwanted fluid, the fat is placed in syringes and meticulously injected into sunken areas. The fat develops an oxygen supply from nearby tissue, resulting in a long-lasting volume that blends smoothly and enhances facial contours.
What to expect after facial fat transfer
Discomfort from a facial fat transfer typically dissipates within a few days. To reduce swelling, keep your head elevated after facial fat grafting for about 3-5 days. Discoloration or bruising may be present for about 7-14 days. Volume changes are usually apparent about six weeks after surgery, with the final results at about six months.